Fonticello Park is a small area within the greater Woodland Heights historic district surrounding the 12-acre Carter Jones Park at Bainbridge and 28th. Carter Jones Park received its name from the City Councilman responsible for drafting the resolution to adopt the area from the family who owned it at the time: the Taylors. The Taylors, at one time, owned the 12-block area between 27th St, 31st St, Westham (Now Forest Hill), Bainbridge, and Semmes St. Their estate included a large, two-story brick residence, multiple outbuildings, and the buildings surrounding their mineral water business: Fonticello Lithia Springs, where the family bottled and sold their spring water for $0.20/gallon.
Carter Jones saw his resolution pass in May of 1924 and the Taylor's homestead was demolished in 1934 to make way for his park. Many residents refer to the area as Fonticello Park, while some refer to the area as Carter Jones' Park. We prefer the former.